Thursday, October 28, 2010

Preschool - Letter G

G is for Geography this week. I had all intentions of doing these activities last week but fall ideas kept coming and I went with it. After putting this lesson off a little I was surprised that we actually did have enough to go on.


As soon as I saw this craft I knew I wanted to adapt it for this geography unit. Certainly not as cute as the original inspiration but it made the point. (Thanks Ramblings and adventures of a stay at home mom!)



Really my inspiration to teach G is for geography came from a desire to introduce global concepts to the girls. I didn't go all out but just did basic introductions to a number of continents, foods, cultures and the like.

We spend some time building "pyramids" and learning about Ancient Egypt. Our key word was ancient. Of course we had a lot of fun knocking them down as well since most things ancient are in ruins.


I let Emma discover the hidden message I left for her. Of course she loved seeing the letter G.


I made a play dough mat and some green and blue play dough. The most fun was that I let them mix the colors which is usually a big not allowed. We made earths and talked about the names of the continents.



We also had a lot of fun at a fall costume party with some good friends and although you often see my children in costumes on here I really liked this one.


Toys: We played with our vtech Fly and Learn Globe this week. I found this at my favorite thrift shop for $1. Serious bargain there.


Books we read:

I chose a variety of books that featured different cultures. We did NOT always talk in depth about the culture but rather introduced them to the fact that everyone is unique and God made us all.

1. Nine O'Clock Lullaby by Marilyn Singer
2. Abiyoyo (based on a South African lullaby and folk story - Pete Seeger)
3. New Shoes for Silvia by Johanna Hurwitz
4. The Empty Pot by Demi

I also got a few books from the dollar tree about states and capitals and an atlas.

The week as a whole went well and although I had much grander plans for it I can't call it any more than an introduction to the world around us. I enjoyed it and hope the girls retain at least a little bit of the info.

To check out what other preschoolers are learning at home visit Preschool Corner at Homeschool Creations.

6 comments:

  1. I like the G is for Geography theme!
    Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you let your girls wear dress up clothes during school! No way they would get to do that everyday if the went somewhere for school :)

    The "secret message" idea is cute. I'm guessing white crayon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great G activities! I'm stopping by from the Homeschool Creations link up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to get some plastic cups for stacking, after Selena watched an episode of Mr. Rogers where he did that she has been begging for some. Love the secret message, you can see the surprise on your daughter's face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cup tower looks like such fun. I love the books that you featured this week.

    Please stop by and link this post to Read.Explore.Learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great week!! :) Thank you so much for linking to me! We also did the secret messages this week :) I love that she is in dress up! So fun :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...